DomePro2-d features list
Single shutter, dual shutter and azimuth-only options available.
Fully enclosed Azimuth and Shutter control modules
- DomePro2-d is not a board level product. Electronics are packaged in robust industrial metal enclosures which are sealed on all but the bottom panel and are impervious to dust and insects.
- CNC machined connector panels – accurately fits external connectors.
Drop-in low hassle installation
- All cables are connected through removable connectors. There are no cables/wires that need to be connected inside the sealed modules.
- Field installs and replacements are quick and easy. No active electronics are hard-wired to the dome.
Exclusive use of high-quality components
- Reliable industrial connectors and cables.
- Extended temperature operation.
Features common to Azimuth and Shutter controllers
- Designed for reliable remote and unattended operation of all types of telescope domes.
- Communications between the shutter and azimuth modules is provided by a robust high-gain international ISM-band radio.
- Direct (i.e., no PC in the loop) weather “unsafe” dome closure with suitable weather station (e.g., Boltwood).
- “Mains” (AC line) power fail detection… provides immediate power-safe dome closure from UPS/battery.
- Motor current monitoring and overload protection. Power supply voltage monitoring. Temperature monitoring.
- Overvoltage/transient/surge protection, fully shielded cabling.
- A rich set of timeouts protecting against motor or other system component failures. All timeouts are individually programmable and enablable.
- Keylock and E-Stop switches on front panel.
- Easy upgrade of controller firmware and PC software.
Additional Azimuth controller features
- Control of one or multiple rotation motors (typically two for 18’ and above domes). DomePro2-d’s azimuth controller can control DC motors, single-phase AC, 3ph AC (with soft-start capability) or stepper/servo motors. Motors are typically provided by the dome manufacturer however Astrometric can also provide complete motor solutions.
- Quadrature encoder directly senses rotation direction. Does not rely upon the activated motor direction to determine direction of rotation. Will read rotation even if the dome is rotated by hand.
- Never loose position: RFID (radio frequency identification) absolute position tags and redundant encoder options.
- Home index switch
- Azimuth position saved at power-off… position restored at power-up with no need to home (if dome has not moved). Any homing is expedited since controller knows which way to rotate to find home.
- Isolated USB interface to PC running our Maestro user interface software.
- "Coast" compensation for motor acceleration/deceleration distances.
- Manual override controls for azimuth left/right rotation and shutter open/close.
- Remote E-Stop switch support.
Additional Shutter controller features
- Two models: Single or dual shutter domes. Supports arbitrary shutter sequencing and topology (e.g., drop-out lower shutter, Ash REA “ride along”, TI cascaded shutter, Palomar style, etc.).
- Control of upper and lower shutter motors. DomePro2-d’s shutter controller can control DC motors, single-phase AC or 3ph AC (with soft-start capability). Motors are typically provided by the dome manufacturer however Astrometric can also provide complete motor solutions.
- Power is provided to the shutter module via slip rings on the interior of the dome or via battery (either solar or “at home” charged through contactors).
- Failsafe shutter closure on PC link and shutter/azimuth RF-link timeouts.
- Partial open feature to absolute percentage (with optional encoder) or by timed motor activation (i.e., "venting").
- Failsafe backup limit switch support.
- Manual override controls for shutter open/close.
Versatile PC-based user interface software (Maestro)
- PC-access to all DomePro2-d features, settings and diagnoses.
- Standards support: ASCOM and Bisque X2.
- Slaving of dome azimuth position to telescope position.
- Full-featured geometry model that provides accurate azimuth slaving for arbitrary telescope position within the dome. Accommodates German equatorial mount flip.
- Email/text notification for any fault condition (e.g., timeouts, weather unsafe, power fail, over-current, under-voltage, over-temp, failsafe shutter limits, etc.).
- Maestro can ping an IP address and provide network-drop/timeout dome closure.
- Protected access to all system settings.